Friday, June 5, 2009

Shephards' Pie

I'm a huge fan of making classic recipes in a healthier way. Shephards' Pie is one of those down-home comfort foods that I love- and my family agrees! Here's how I make my healthifed version:

Meat layer:
1/2 lb ground beef
1 cup lentils, pre cooked
2 cups beef stock, low sodium
1 tsp grill seasoning
flour
Worcestershire or A-1

Preheat oven to 350. Brown beef with grill seasoning, drain off most of the fat. Add in lentils, then sprinkle with flour and let it cook off. Deglaze with the beef stock, then add a couple of shakes of Worcestershire or A1 sauce. Adjust seasonings now.

Meanwhile, heat up a bag of frozen mixed vegetables (I use Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers) and potatoes- you can use either leftover homemade or boxed (Potato flakes have come a LONG way! I promise! We like Betty Crocker Garlic mashed, but I skimp a bit on the water when I'm making a double batch).

Place meat layer in the bottom of a well greased casserole, then top with veggies and finally, potatoes. Sprinkle top of potatoes with paprika and parsley, bake for 10 minutes (you're just browning the tops of the potatoes a bit).

No comments: