Saturday, June 27, 2009

By request- Homemade yogurt

I'm making yogurt today, and I thought I'd post about it since I had a request for it! It is really, really easy, I promise!I'm making 2 batches, one 1/2 gallon batch of skim milk yogurt, and a quart of whole milk yogurt. I have a one year old that needs the fat!
Here's what you'll need for a basic batch:

1 4-8oz container of ACTIVE CULTURE yogurt (henceforth- starter yogurt)

1/2 gallon milk
1/2 cup powdered milk (optional)

No, I didn't take a picture of the storebought starter- DH wasn't home yet!

Heat the milk to 180 degrees. While it is heating up, pull the starter yogurt out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. Let the milk cool down to 115 (120 if you're adding powdered milk, the powdered milk will lower the temperature). Add powdered milk now if you want (will result in a thicker yogurt). Temper the starter yogurt by adding about a cup of the warm milk mixture to the starter. This will "wake up" the cultures in your starter, and reduce incubation time. Add starter/milk mixture to the rest of the warm milk, then stick in your incubation area.

Incubation can be done in a gas oven as long as it has a pilot light. Or, wrap your container of yogurt in a heating pad and then cover that with a bath towel. Basically, you're aiming for about 110-115 degrees- optimum for the culture to grow!

Incubation time will vary, depending on how "awake" your cultures are. I usually start checking at about 4-5 hours, but it may take as long as 10-12. The longer you incubate the yogurt, the thicker and tarter it will be.




No comments: