Saturday, January 17, 2009

Frugal Activity of the week: Pizza dough from scratch

I've been hemming and hawing about yeast breads, doughs, and the like for quite some time. A mess of epic proportions comes to mind- we tried buying the pizza dough from the store once, and we ended up with flour on everything, an inedible crust, and a gigantic mess, along with a new inside joke.

I decided that enough was enough, and dipped my toe into the waters of bread with pizza dough. I found a recipe on the King Arthur website, and felt sufficiently scared by the directions, but I'd already promised Paul pizza... so I dove right in.

I have now made 2 batches of pizza dough, using the recipe here at the King Arthur website. It was pretty easy, once I got past the LONG instructions!

It really was quite good. The only changes I'll make is to use 50% whole wheat flour next time, scatter some cornmeal on the bottom of the pan after proofing and before baking, and brush a bit of olive oil on the edges.

Here's one of our favorite pizza combos!

Hawaiian BBQ pizza
4-5 slices deli ham, sliced into bite size pieces
1/2 can crushed pineapple, drained well
mix of cheddar and mozzarella cheese
BBQ sauce

No comments: